Bacon Breakfast Burrito
THE PEOPLE HAVE ASKED...AND I HAVE ANSWERED! A while back, I posted a breakfast burrito on Instagram and was surprised that people wanted the recipe. Lucky for you guys, this stuff is super easy to make and just requires cooking different parts pre-assembly. I took Sunday to make a batch of burritos for the week and then froze them so I could take one out the night before each morning.
This was the first time I did any kind of meal prep and I can't believe I hadn't before! The trick is just remembering to take the burrito out to defrost the night before...or you'll be stuck with something that takes FOREVER to heat up.
- 1 pack burrito wraps (I made about 4 pretty big burritos from this)
- 1 package of bacon
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado
- Salsa of your choice
- Cheese (get a Mexican blend or just use cheddar like I did)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- This is the part that takes the longest! Fry up your bacon in batches and let them sit on paper towels to soak up the oil. You can also do a batch in the oven so you can do more at once.
- For the black beans, I used dried black beans so I soaked them overnight and then boiled them in salted water until you could bite into them. I have no idea how long this took...at least 2 episodes of The People vs. OJ Simpson 😂 You can also save yourself the hassle by using canned black beans; just drain the can and set the beans aside!
- Saute your spinach in a little leftover bacon grease and set that aside too.
- In a bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients on the list from the eggs up to the garlic powder. Heat up a pan and scramble your eggs! I like to get the pan nice and hot, add a little coconut oil, pour all the eggs in and stir every couple of minutes. Take them off the heat when they're still looking a TINY bit runny because they'll continue to cook from residual heat as your assembling.
- Cut a medium size avocado in half, take the pit out, and slice it up. Now is the fun part: ASSEMBLY.
- Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil and put the burrito shell on top. In this order, I put 2 slices of bacon, beans, spinach, cheese, eggs, salsa, and avocado on the shell. To make the burrito, take the left and right sides and fold in. Holding this with one hand, take the bottom with your free hand and pull it up and over the filling. Tuck the edge under the filling and roll tightly!
- Once your burrito is assembled, use the same wrapping technique with the aluminum foil. If you want to go the extra mile, wrap your burrito in parchment paper first and then the foil so you can unwrap and pop it into the microwave if your office doesn't have any kind of oven!
And that's that. The rolling might take a few tries to get right (I've got egg roll making skills under my sleeves too so this was easy peasy). These hearty breakfast burritos make getting up for work just the teensiest bit better, but I honestly prefer sleeping in 😂 Try making your own with different fillings!