Mango Sticky Rice
I took a Thai cooking class with my team back in the day, and one of the dishes we learned to make was mango sticky rice! I was surprised by how easy it was to make so I decided to try it out at home myself.
This version is missing the salty sauce that our cooking instructor had us make during class, but I just sprinkled a little salt in the coconut sauce to bring out the sweetness instead.
- Sticky rice (soaked for a day)
- Coconut cream
- Drain your sticky rice and start boiling water to steam it. I used a regular bamboo steamer with a special steaming cloth inside that I bought from Daiso, but you can just use cheesecloth. Steam the rice for about 15 minutes.
- While the rice is steaming, heat up the coconut cream and slowly add in sugar until it is sweet enough for you. I think I ended up using about 2/3 cup of sugar or maybe more.
- When the rice is done steaming, mix it with the coconut sauce and then cover with aluminum foil so the rice can absorb all the liquid. You want the ratio to be about 2:1 sauce to liquid, but I liked reserving sauce to drizzle on top too.
- I waited about 20 minutes before uncovering the rice. Just dice up a mango while you’re waiting, and, once the time is up, serve the rice with diced mango on top!